[Seisunix] SU summer school proposal

Dominique ROUSSET dominique.rousset at univ-pau.fr
Thu Sep 6 04:24:06 MDT 2018

Hi,

After the good answers some of you wrote on last July, the project of SU
summer school is in progress !

I'm now writing the (first !) application for funding. So don't hesitate
to spread the news among potential participants to this event and of
course among potential sponsors.

Accomodation appears to be easy and not so expensive on or close to the
campus in early July. I hope that the available funding will greatly
lower the overall cost for "students" of the summer school.

Thanks for supporting the project !

D.

Le 19/06/2018 à 12:24, Dominique Rousset a écrit :
> Dear fellow SU users,
>
> I have an idea and the opportunity to apply for funding in order to
> make it real !
>
> My university (Pau, south Western France) is willing to give
> significant amount of funding for summer schools.
>
> My idea is to apply (next September/October) to propose as SU summer
> school for next year (late June/early July 2019 or end of August, when
> the University is open and the students are away).
>
> In my mind, it would be nice to build a mix of summer school (stricto
> sensu) on selected topics for people who want to learn processing and
> a coding camp (bug hunting, new features of existing SU tools, porting
> alien codes to SU, new processing sequences and tutorials using SU).
> Maybe the audience would be too heterogeneous and we have to choose
> between these options.
>

> I think a summer school would be a stimulating environment for the SU
> community.
>
> Depending on the funding obtained from the University and maybe
> (dreaming is still allowed) other sponsors, the money would be used to
> pay for travel and accommodation of senior SU (or processing) users
> (teachers of the summer school) and participants (specially students).
>
> I already discussed the idea with John who finds it "workable".
>
> And you, SU users, what do you think of that ? Who is interested in
> coming (or sending colleagues or students) to Pau next year for one to
> two weeks.
>
> D. (Live from GPR2018 meeting in Switzerland)
>

> --
> Envoyé de mon appareil Android avec K-9 Mail. Veuillez excuser ma
> brièveté.

|Dominique Rousset                        Département des géosciences |
|Univ. Pau et des Pays de l'Adour BP 1155   F-64013 Pau Cedex - France|
|mailto:dominique.rousset at univ-pau.fr          http://lfc.univ-pau.fr|
|Fixe:+33 559 407 423 | Mobile: +33 660 861 391 | Fax: +33 559 407 415|