LUG: New Ubuntu mirrors on campus!

Jake Vossen jvossen at mines.edu
Mon May 11 22:30:58 MDT 2020

Hey everyone,

I am excited to announce that Mines is now hosting Ubuntu mirrors on
campus! This should increase the download speeds of `apt` on and around
campus. It should work on all currently supported versions of Ubuntu.

To use the new mirrors:

1. Make a backup of your current sources list:
`cp /etc/apt/sources.list ~/some/safe/place/sources.bak`
You can then use that file to restore the default mirrors if you decide
not to use Mines mirrors in the future.

2. Edit `/etc/apt/sources.list` and on the lines not starting with a
'#', replace anything that looks like us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu or
us.security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu (might look slightly different depending
on your version) with lug.mines.edu/mirrors/ubuntu

Run `apt update`, and you should see it updating from `lug.mines.edu`.

Please email me or ping me on the LUG Matrix server[0] if you have any
questions or issues setting it up.

(Bonus, you can also do the same process on the Windows Subsystem for
Linux[1])

[0] https://lug.mines.edu/matrix
[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10
--