LUG: Tools used in industry: Containerization talk tomorrow + ACM git workshop Saturday

J. Westarp jwestarp at mymail.mines.edu
Wed Sep 4 00:12:20 MDT 2019

Hello LUG,

LUG meets at 18:00 tomorrow (Thursday, September 5th) in BB 269. Liam
Warfield will be giving a talk on containerization. Containerization
is a technique widely used in industry that allows multiple users'
software to run simultaneously on the same server in different
environments. If you've heard of Docker before, you will learn what
exactly it is and see a brief demo. (Note: This is not the same room
as last time. Also, we will not be having food this meeting. Feel free
to bring your own if you'd like.)

As always, the Linux help session is at 17:00 in BB 136 beforehand. If
you installed Linux last meeting and something doesn't seem to be
working right or you have questions, stop by and we will help you out!

Also this Saturday, September 7th from 10:00 - 13:00 in BB 136, ACM
will be having a workshop on Git that is open to everyone at Mines.
Git is an important tool for software development created by Linus
Torvalds. It is widely used in industry, both to back up changes to
projects and to make collaboration easier. The workshop itself is
specifically designed for people who are new to Git, including those
who have never heard of it. Please bring your laptop if you have one.

Jo Westarp
--
President, Mines LUG
Treasurer, Mines ACM