LUG: Linux system repair help

Christopher Painter-Wakefield cpainter at mines.edu
Fri Apr 19 12:45:58 MDT 2019

Another option is to use an install image - boot into the "live CD", and then mount the drive on your computer.  Since you are root on the live CD, you will have permission to access all the files on your drive.

The only time this doesn't work is if you encrypted your drive or your home directory :)

After you backup your files, you can use the live image to repair your filesystem with fsdisk, and reinstall GRUB, and see if that helps anything.

Best,
-cpw