LUG: ubuntu 16.04 login loop

Jack Rosenthal jrosenth at mines.edu
Fri Oct 12 05:21:42 MDT 2018

Aun,

After attempting to log in, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and log in. Look at:

    /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Do you see any errors (lines that start with EE)?

Also check /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log (or the gdm log, if you're on
gdm now) and see if anything there ... but considering you've tried two
different dm's now, I doubt the display manager is the issue.

You could also try a simpler desktop environment. For example, try
installing LXDE or fvwm and see if you can get one of those to start.

Jack M. Rosenthal                 ( http://inside.mines.edu/~jrosenth
Graduate Student, Computer Science )     http://jack.rosenth.al

Call me paranoid, but finding '/*' inside this comment makes me
suspicious
    -- MPW's C Compiler