LUG: Welcome to the Linux Users Group - 2018

Jack Rosenthal jrosenth at mines.edu
Sun Aug 26 16:39:21 MDT 2018

Hello,

If you're receiving this message, it's because of one of the following
scenarios:

    1. You were already on our mailing list.
    2. You signed up for our list at Celebration of Mines.
    3. You were kindly subscribed by a friend at Celebration of Mines.

Regardless of which scenario is the case, if you don't want to be on our
list, just let me know and I'll unsubscribe you (no hard feelings).

Our first meeting will be Thursday, August 30 at 6 PM in the ALAMODE
Linux Lab. This Linux lab is located at BB 136 -- downstairs on the OLD
(east) side of Brown Hall.

The topic of the meeting will be to introduce newcomers to who we are
and why we like Linux. If you bring a laptop, we can help you install
a Linux distribution on your laptop in a variety of scenarios (wipe it
clean, dual booting, virtual machines, etc.). You can even haul down a
desktop, or bring your toaster with a microcontroller (and we'll try our
best!)

If you come an hour early (5 PM) we will have a Linux Help Session.
During this time, you can get help with pretty much anything related to
Linux, and we will try our best to help you out. If you'd like to sign
up and lead a help session this semester, you can do so at the Google
Excel Sheet below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13_rhQut_5Vr8aWAi36eCds1qHNe9SuFoRV-JbVCkvoA/edit

Finally, if you would like to sign up for a talk this semester, just let
me know. There's still plenty of slots open.

If you did not get a chance to see our sister club, the ACM chapter,
check them out too. Chances are you would be interested in the stuff
they do too. The first meeting will be Monday (Aug 27) in BB W280. See
the website below for more info and mailing list sign-up:

https://acm.mines.edu/

See you Thursday!

Jack M. Rosenthal                 ( http://inside.mines.edu/~jrosenth
Graduate Student, Computer Science )     http://jack.rosenth.al

Writing ______ is like writing ______:
  PostScript ... assembly: a compiler usually does it for you.
  LaTeX ... C: it's powerful, but tedious and only somewhat portable.
  reStructuredText ... Python: it's magically delicious!