LUG: Linux Netboot Question from friend of Skyler Morris

Jack Rosenthal jrosenth at mines.edu
Mon Apr 23 20:59:05 MDT 2018

Hey Patrick,

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 at 16:48 -0600, Patrick Myers wrote:
> I'm in over my head with a project at work and my roommate Skyler
> Morris said you might be able to help.

I'm also sending to the LUG mailing list in case someone has a better
idea... LUGgers, feel free to pipe in with w/e.

> I need to install 14.04 on a clean system over the network and want it
> to be as minimal as possible. Ideally, I want to use the 14.04
> mini.iso but the tutorials I found for netbooting all revolves around
> using netboot.tar.gz.
>
> The two main configuration differences I can find are:
>
> 1) The config files (pxelinux.cfg vs isolinux.cfg)
> 2) The .bin files (pxelinux.0 vs isolinux.bin)
>
> Is there a way I could replace the pxe files' contents with the iso
> files' contents? Or just in general, can I netboot using iso.mini
> instead of the specific netboot image?

First, are you trying to netboot on the school's network, or your own? I
think part of the typical PXE setup requires you to run your own DHCP
server, which might get you an Email from Phil Romig if you tried on the
school's network...

If on your own network, you would need to either setup PXELINUX and
configure it for the mini image (don't know if the config would be
compatible with the one from the tar.gz), or you could try and do
something like this: https://wellsie.net/p/286/
(which I haven't tried, so no idea if it actually works...)

If it's not on your own network, you would need to figure out an
alternative boot solution such as a small USB drive or floppy disk... so
I guess if that's the case, let me/us know and we can figure something
out.

--
Jack M. Rosenthal                 ( http://inside.mines.edu/~jrosenth
Graduate Student, Computer Science )     http://jack.rosenth.al

#if _FP_W_TYPE_SIZE < 32
#error "Here's a nickel kid.  Go buy yourself a real computer."
#endif
    -- linux/arch/sparc64/double.h