LUG: Dual Booting Mac OS and Ubuntu

Jack Rosenthal jrosenth at mines.edu
Sat Sep 23 20:21:10 MDT 2017

On 2017-09-23 18:54, Joshua Rands wrote:
> I'm new to linux and am trying to install the Ubuntu Desktop on my
> MacBook Pro. I want to dual boot with Mac OS, not entirely replace it. I
> am having issues getting rEFIt to boot up so I can install Ubuntu. Any
> tips?

Hey Josh!

Last time I had dual-booted Mac OS X and Linux, I was able to do so
using the standard EFI techniques used on most new PCs... no need for rEFIt.

Essentially this: *reuse* Mac OS X's EFI system partition and install
your bootloader there as well (e.g., GRUB, gummiboot, ...), then finally
set the default to your Linux bootloader using efibootmgr. You can add
an entry for Mac OS X in your Linux bootloader.

There may be alternative methods... other LUGgers please pipe in if
you've got more tips.

Combined BS/MS Computer Science
President of Mines ACM Student Chapter