LUG: Meeting Thursday: An Earthshaking Announcement (plus Python presentation corrections)

Jack Rosenthal jrosenth at mines.edu
Wed Dec 7 02:00:31 MST 2016

LUGgers,

We will be meeting in CT B60 this Thursday at 6pm to watch Knuth's "An
Earthshaking Announcement". This should be a relaxing break from your
studies.

Also, if you had a Ubuntu(-like) system and decided to follow the
command I gave during my Python presentation to set Python 3 as the
system-wide default, you've likely encountered issues with some Ubuntu
packages resulting because of that. As it turns out, many of Ubuntu's
packages simply assume that /usr/bin/python is version 2.x, and this
causes nasties. I've updated the slides to include a less-dangerous
alias approach to this, but if you need to revert what used to be in the
slides, you should execute the following (as root):

update-alternatives --remove python /usr/bin/python3
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python /usr/bin/python2 1

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused around this. As it turns out,
I only know enough about Ubuntu's package management to get dangerous
with update-alternatives. Let me know if you run into any issues doing
this... I only beta-tested these commands on an Ubuntu system a few
minutes ago (which was how this problem started in the 1st place).

On a side note, if you *really* want this done on a system-wide basis,
you may consider putting an alias in /etc/bash.bashrc (or your shell's
system-wide equivalent).

See you Thursday,

Computer Science - Class of 2018
President of Mines ACM Student Chapter