LUG: Linux Mint - Cannot Detect external monitor

tigery at skybeam.com tigery at skybeam.com
Sat Apr 4 11:49:00 MDT 2015

Hello Luggers,

  I'm having a problem with using an external monitor on LMDE MATE. My
laptop spontaneously stopped detecting the external monitor today.
Yesterday, I just plugged in the cable and it immediately found the
monitor. Today, it doesn't detect it at all. I checked the cable on
another machine and it is still good. Here's the output of a couple
xrandr commands I tried with the cable plugged in:

    xrandr --current
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    LVDS1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 309mm x 174mm
       1366x768       60.0*+
       1360x768       59.8     60.0
       1024x768       60.0
       800x600        60.3     56.2
       640x480        59.9
    VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

    xrandr --listproviders
    Providers: number : 1
    Provider 0: id: 0x44 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink
Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 2 associated providers: 0 name:Intel

I'm certain that Screen 0 is my laptop monitor, but I don't know why the
cable is listed as disconnected. Also, I have an HDMI port, not a VGA
port, if that makes any difference. Can anyone give me some help on this?

-Tk