[eb-grad-students] Summer Job

Rebecca Guillen rguillen at mines.edu
Tue May 1 15:44:01 MDT 2018

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing you to let you know about an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students, graduate students, instructors, or adjuncts in your department who may be interested in summer employment as an economics teaching assistant or instructor with the Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth (CTY) summer programs. CTY offers challenging academic programs for highly talented elementary, middle, and high school students from across the country and around the world. Information regarding our summer programs can be found at www.cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer<https://goo.gl/GkpQW5>.

You likely received a message from a colleague of mine earlier this academic year with information about our programs. As summer fast approaches, I wanted to provide some more targeted information about the current openings we have in case colleagues of yours were looking for employment over the summer. I appreciate you taking the time to forward the information below to undergraduate and graduate students and instructors/adjuncts in your department, and posting this announcement on your job board.

While the information in the flyer below will spell out general details, including our desired qualifications, I wanted to post here the current instructor openings:
-          First session Instructor, The Mathematics of Money-Haverford, PA (Haverford College)
-          Second session Instructor, Macroeconomics & the Global Economy-Carlisle, PA (Dickinson College)

And our current TA openings:
-          Fundamentals of Microeconomics
o   Carlisle, PA (both sessions)
o   Seattle, WA (both sessions)
o   Saratoga Springs, NY (second session)
-          Macroeconomics & the Global Economy
o   Saratoga Springs, NY (first session)
-          Probability & Game Theory
o   Carlisle, PA (both sessions)
o   Los Angeles, CA (second session)
o   Saratoga Springs, NY (both sessions)
-          Game Theory & Economics
o   Bristol, RI (both sessions)
-          The Mathematics of Money
o   Santa Cruz, CA (both sessions)
o   Bristol, RI (second session)
o   Haverford, PA (both sessions)

Additional positions and courses may become available and be filled as the summer continues to approach, but this should give you an idea of what to expect. Interested candidates should apply at cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer<https://goo.gl/GkpQW5>.

As discussed below: for instructor candidates, we are seeking individuals who have experience as instructor of record. For advanced undergraduates and grad students seeking additional experience in the classroom, we recommend TA spots. The faculty-to-student ratio is very small in our programs and the students are quite advanced in their learning. It is a great opportunity for pedagogical practice. We provide room & board as well as competitive salaries, but do not assist with travel to and from the site in question.

Finally, please note: Applicants who are currently on an F-1 student visa must have an EAD card valid for the dates of employment or be able to obtain CPT authorization from their international office.

Kind regards,
Jack Huguley

Program Manager, Summer Academic Programs
Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth
cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer<https://goo.gl/GkpQW5>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D3E163.39A98820]

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D3E163.39A98820]
Summer 2018 Employment Opportunities:
Economics Instructors and Teaching Assistants

The Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth (CTY) is seeking instructors and teaching assistants for our summer programs. CTY offers challenging academic programs for highly talented elementary, middle, and high school students from across the country and around the world. Positions are available at residential and day sites at colleges, universities, and schools on the East and West coasts. (For a full list of sites, visit cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer/sites_dates.html<https://goo.gl/7mwNkd>.) Please note that our site in Hong Kong is no longer accepting applicants.

We are currently seeking individuals with expertise in a number of areas, including:

  *   Game Theory
  *   Microeconomics
  *   Macroeconomics
  *   The Mathematics of Money

A full list of courses can be found at cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer/courses/math_computer_science.html<https://goo.gl/u2uCtK>.

Why teach for CTY?

  *   share your passion for economics with highly motivated and talented students
  *   be a part of an intellectual community
  *   develop your teaching skills in a supportive, collegial environment
  *   work alongside dedicated educators from around the world
  *   limited class size (15 students), plus an instructor and assistant for each class, ensures a low student-teacher ratio
  *   competitive salary plus room and board at our residential sites

2018 Program Core Dates*

  *   Session 1: June 21 - July 14, 2018
  *   Session 2: July 14 - August 4, 2018
*Some sites run one week later than these dates. For a full list of locations and dates, please visitcty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer/sites_dates.html<https://goo.gl/7mwNkd>.

Terms of Employment

  *   Starting salary for two sessions is $4,800 - $6,000 for instructors and $2,400 for TAs
  *   Room and board are provided at residential sites. Travel assistance is provided to Hong Kong.

Desired Qualifications
*         Teaching assistant candidates are generally graduate or undergraduate students with experience tutoring or as a TA.
*         Instructor candidates generally have independent classroom teaching experience, graduate coursework, and at least a bachelor's degree.

More Information

  *   Instructor and Teaching Assistant positions: cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer/positions<https://goo.gl/VqzK8n>
  *   Employment with CTY: cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer<https://goo.gl/GkpQW5>

To Apply
Please fill out an online application at cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer<https://goo.gl/GkpQW5>.

Questions? Contact us at ctysummer at jhu.edu<mailto:ctysummer at jhu.edu>.

Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. The university promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.

Becca Guillen
COLORADOSCHOOLOFMINES
Administrative Assistant
Division of Economics and Business